28 November 2012

BYVM Burton Design Contest


This week I’ve married together the two things I love the most by entering the Blank You Very Much contest to design two top sheets for Burton Snowboards. You can view my design properly by clicking HERE.

I wanted to create designs which are loosely connected to the board names given: ‘Speakeasy’ and ‘Moonshine’.

Speakeasy establishments thrived in the 1920's – a time at which the Art Deco movement began. I took influence from the fluid interwoven lines of this design era and implemented a colour scheme which targets a female audience. The Speakeasy ‘Deco’ was born.

My second design features minimal colour, similar to the famous Moonshine whiskey. It is simply inspired by the channel-cut patterns on traditional lead crystal glassware, hence the name ‘Leaded’ (fuel connotations are definitely a bonus).

In addition to the subtle themes above, I thought about the way the boards would look in contrast to their surroundings when shredding down a mountain, as well as when stationary. I also wanted the designs to be clean and uncomplicated, giving consideration to how the imagery would vary in appearance being in the distance, as well as close-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment